For Immediate Release—May 1, 2010
DRIVER: Alex Tagliani
ENTRY: No. 77 Bowers and Wilkins FAZZT Race Team Dallara/Honda/Firestone
EVENT/TRACK: Road Runner Turbo Indy 300, Kansas City, Kansas, 1.5 Mile Oval
EVENT DATE: Saturday, May 1, 2010 1:30 p.m. ET on ABC, IMS Radio Network, XM Radio 145 and SIRIUS Radio 211 and live at 1:30 p.m. ET on TSN
RACE 5 of 17
Start Position: 5th
Finish Position: 8th
Laps Completed: 199 of 200
No. 77 Bowers and Wilkins FAZZT Race Team Race News and Notes
- Tagliani ran in the top eight the majority of the race.
- On lap 143 Tagliani went to the outside to complete a pass for 5th place and got caught out which dropped him back to 12th position.
- Tagliani was in 12th position before his final pit stop on lap 176. Unfortunately, the caution flag came out immediately after the stop. The end result was that it was ruled the race leader, Dixon, was ahead of the #77 at the blend line. That situation put Tagliani a lap down to the leaders and in 9th place.
- Tagliani worked his way back to 8th place which is where he finished the race.
- Tagliani is currently in 12th place in the points standings with 96 points
- Tagliani has made 32 oval starts in his career with a best finish of 2nd at Twin Ring Motegi in 2002.
|Sao Paulo, Brazil||2nd||19th||28 of 61||Contact||12||19th|
|St. Petersburg, Florida||8th||6th||100 of 100||Running||28||13th|
|Barber, Alabama||21st||10th||90 of 90||Running||20||13th|
|Long Beach Grand Prix||7th||21st||65 of 85||Contact||12||14th|
|Kansas Speedway||5th||8th||199 of 200||Running||24||12th|
Alex Tagliani on the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300:
“I think this weekend the FAZZT Race Team has shown that we can be competitive on the oval and that is where we want to be and I think it looks good for us heading into Indianapolis. It’s very motivating for everyone on the team to have a good result here at our first oval event. Our race today was a good one but we realized early in the race that we weren’t great on the restarts because of the gearing so with full fuel tanks it was a little difficult to follow the pace. But the team gave me such a good car and such a consistent car for the long runs that we were able to stay with the leaders. The Firestone tires were great today and the whole stint long the car was very consistent and we were able to make up ground. Towards the end we were fighting for position and it was better and easier for me to stay with the quick cars and we were good on fuel so everything worked really well. I’m very happy that we are going to leave here with the car in one piece and with our evaluation on the oval done. We are definitely proud of what we are doing and I’m amazingly proud of the boys and the job they have done preparing this car. We’re very motivated and looking forward to getting prepared for the Indianapolis 500.”
Rob Edwards, General Manager, on the Road Runner Turbo Indy 300:
“For our first oval event, if someone had said before we came here that we would qualify 5th and finish 8th we would have been excited. But that is the way for this team we keep trying to surprise. Qualifying was great but I think today we were certainly good enough to finish in the top-five in the race but a few breaks didn’t work out. But overall, I think we’re thrilled and we have good momentum heading into Indianapolis. And as I say every weekend, hopefully it shows the faith that the team owners have put in the group of guys we’ve put together at FAZZT Race Team.”
- Scott Dixon was the winner for the 2nd year in a row; Dario Franchitti finished 2nd and Tony Kanaan 3rd.
- This is the first oval race of the 2010 season. This oval race marks the first in the series Oval Championship which was announced this week by the IZOD IndyCar Series.
- The Series Championship is now divided into an Oval Championship, Road/Street Course Championship and Series Overall Championship.
- Using the current championship points system, the highest-scoring oval and road/street drivers will be crowned champion of their respective racing discipline.
- The road title will culminate on Aug. 22 at Infineon Raceway, while the oval contest will conclude Sept. 19 at Twin Ring Motegi.
- The Oct. 2 season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway will be reserved to honor the overall IZOD IndyCar Series champion.
|Jana Watt||Max d’Orsonnens|
|FAZZT Race Team||Attaché de presse|
|317 709-3855||514 990-4988|