Today’s Practice Results
Speed/Time: 221.482 mph/40.6353 seconds
Total Laps: 19
Fast Driver/ Speed/Time of the Day: Helio Castroneves/227.046 mph/39.6395 seconds
No. 77 Bowers and Wilkins FAZZT Race Team News and Notes
• Alex has been suffering from Bronchitis and was treated at Methodist Hospital this week for his condition. It has not impacted the practice plan as the team did not plan to run until today and Alex continues to improve daily.
• In 2009 Tagliani made his 1st Indy 500 start. He started 33rd and finished 11th earning honors as the 2009 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year.
• Tagliani has made 32 oval starts in his career with a best finish of 2nd at Twin Ring Motegi, Japan in 2002.
• Tagliani has scored 3 pole positions on oval tracks during his career; Brazil in 2000; Fontana, California in 2001 and Milwaukee in 2003.
• In the past five seasons (since 2005) Tagliani has only raced in seven oval events.
• Tagliani is currently in 12th place in the standings with 96 points, two points off 10th place.
• 2010 is Tagliani’s first full IndyCar Series season and his 10th season of open wheel racing.
Alex Tagliani on the today’s opening practice (veterans ran from 2:00 – 5:35 p.m.):
“The boys have just done a fantastic job. I think the car is great. Today, because of the weather and the track conditions changing
, our plan was to go and shake the car down and evaluate the car. We got the opportunity to do that and the car is really, just fantastic. We ran on our own with a lot of downforce on the car and no tow from anyone so we were pretty excited about the speeds that we are running right now. It’s a good beginning to the week and now I’m just waiting to get back on track. We didn’t get a chance to get back out this afternoon because of the rain so I am really ready to get back out on the track. I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch but we have a really strong team and a fast car. I don’t want to predict how qualifying will turn out because you have to let things play out but I think we will be in the hunt if we continue to do what we are doing.”
Alex Tagliani on the Indianapolis 500:
“The rookie season is over now that I’ve been to Indianapolis before so I’m really looking forward to getting on track in our first full practice tomorrow. The team has been doing a fantastic job on the preparation of the car. Kansas was like an oval test for us and we went there and we were a bit nervous. But Bang! We qualified 5th. It couldn’t have happened at a better time for the team and now we’re looking forward to getting out at the Speedway with all of the drivers to see where we stand. I’m confident the boys on our team have done a fabulous job preparing the car and the engineers have done a great job on setting it up. This will be an interesting 15 days with a different approach, different expectations and that puts us under a little bit more pressure because you always want more but I think we have the team to make that happen.”
• The course is a 2.5 mile oval.
• This is the 94th IZOD IndyCar Race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
• This is the second oval race of the 2010 season. This oval race marks the second in the series Oval Championship which was announcedby the IZOD IndyCar Series.
• The Series Championship is now divided into an Oval Championship, Road/Street Course Championship and Series Overall Championship. Using the current championship points system, the highest-scoring oval and road/street drivers will be crowned champion of their respective racing discipline. The road title will culminate on Aug. 22 at Infineon Raceway, while the oval contest will conclude Sept. 19 at Twin Ring Motegi. The Oct. 2 season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway will be reserved to honor the overall IZOD IndyCar Series champion.
About FAZZT Race Team: The FAZZT Race Team was formed in July 2009 as a partnership between Andre Azzi of the Azzi Race Division, ATG, and Jim Freudenberg and Jason Priestley of the Rubicon Sports Agency. The team fields a full-time IndyCar Series team that made its debut at the season opening event in Sao Paulo. The team has four Dallara chassis and has signed Canadian driver Alex Tagliani to drive the #77 entry. Andre Azzi, a Montreal based entrepreneur, is the teams’ Chief Executive Officer and motorsports veteran Jim Freudenberg is the teams’ Chief Operating Officer. The team is housed in a 25,000 ft. race shop on the north side of Indianapolis with a second facility that will house their Research and Design division in Montreal. For more information, go to www.FAZZTRaceTeam.com.
FAZZT Race Team
(317) 709-3855 or firstname.lastname@example.org